Castle defence

Castle defence

Postby Custos » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:35 pm

Castle Over-Run

It's not right that a castle with 101 defenders can hold out against 10s of thousands of attackers. It's also wasting the game with players using trickle defence to hold back 10s of thousands of attackers.

There should be a ratio threshold that once reached the castle should be Over-Run and captured. e.g. Castle would be over-run if 50000 attackers attacked a castle with only 101 defenders.

That threshold should relate to the castle fortifications level, the higher the level the higher the threshold. Also it should only come in to play if the castle troop numbers fall below a certain number.

I would suggest a ratio of 10 to 1 for a fortification level 1 rising to 50 to 1 for level 20 forts. With the caveat that this only applies with castles with less than 300 defenders.

any castle with more than 300 defenders would have battles calculated the same as it is now

Any castle with less than 300 defenders would have battles calculated the same as it is now unless the threshold was passed in that case the attacker would over-run the castle.

So a Level 20 fort with 100 defenders would be over-run if 5000 attackers attacked at the same time. A level 1 fort with 100 defenders would be over-run if 1000 attackers attacked at the same time.
Custos

Re: Castle defence

Postby Kencoach » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:01 pm

I like this idea as well....more realistic to the way medieval warfare was fought. A force as large as 50,000 would normally, have the ability to easisy overcome.
Kencoach

Postby Sulahn » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:01 am

I couldn't agree more, but with one exception. The minimum troop count to hold a castle should be inversely proportional to Fort level. The higher the Fort level, the fewer troops you need to defensively maintain combat, and the higher OT/DT ratio a castle can withstand. There should be a cap on the withstand able OT/DT ratio, regardless of Fot level.

It is crazy and totally unrealistic that a trickle that can maintain 101 troops indefinitely, no matter how difficult that is, can seemingly hold off an infinite army that could literally shove the castle off its moat.
Sulahn

Postby Ranulf » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:36 am

Heh. In real life trickle would not even be possible - how do you get into a castle under siege...? It's the mechanism chosen for this game. I think that tinkering with it would change the game too much. YMMV.
Ranulf

Postby Uncledarkside » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:30 am

Great idea.
Uncledarkside

Postby aaaaasiaaaaasib » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:40 am

I believe this game mechanism is the reason why the game is interesting..... if someone can micromanage and prevent his budding castle from being taken by larger forces... then that's a good mechanism.... the attackers are not at disadvantage.... they too can trickle and attack
aaaaasiaaaaasib

Postby Custos » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:43 pm

I agree that trickle defence is a skill and a good mechanism, all I'm saying is that there must be a point at which time 101 defenders can't hold out.

That's why I'm suggesting that over-run only comes into play if castle defence falls below a certain level. This means that the defender would have the same trickle defence options, it would just mean that he would lose 150 defenders after each attack as opposed to only 50.
Custos

Postby j1o4e » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:55 pm

Trickle is a handy skill used in this game! It is time consuming and boring but can save you from 1000's. But I agree, it's not realistic at all!
j1o4e

Postby WW » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:36 pm

Okay one, its really unrealistic to use the 101 method. But i would like to ask, the little guy who has no chance against the big players.... What does he do? If he can 101 till nightfall he can win.... Its not fair for only big players to overrun smaller ones... Especially in mass attacks.
WW

Postby Shadowlord Dracos » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:49 pm

I totally agree. I love this game but the trickle ruins the experience. There is NO WAY a REAL army would ever sit idly by and let enemy reinforcements just casually walk past them and fortify the castle. The current battle system is quite ridiculous. The battle server dynamics should be implemented into all servers and there should be a point where the castle gets over run. They way it works now is just silly.
Shadowlord Dracos

Next

Return to Suggestions & Feedback