Movement N/S slower than E/W

Movement N/S slower than E/W

Postby Qwase » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:54 pm

Why does it take longer to move 5 fields North/South than it does to go East/West?
From what I am seeing on my map, it is more than 50% longer to go North/South.
Qwase

Re: Movement N/S slower than E/W

Postby Qwase » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:14 pm

bump.

Am I the only person who notices or that is bothered by this?
Qwase

Postby Rio » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:09 pm

Hi Qwase, the map is hexagonal.

One disadvantage of a hex map is that hexes have adjacent cells in only six directions instead of eight, as in a square grid map. Commonly, cells will form continuous straight lines "up" and "down", or "north" and "south", in which case the other four adjacent cells lie "north-west", "north-east", "south-west" and "south-east". As a result, no hex cell has an adjacent hex cell lying directly "east" or "west", making movement in a straight line east or west somewhat more complicated than on a square grid map. Instead, paths in these directions, and any other path that does not bisect one of the six cell edges, will "zig-zag"; since no two directions are orthogonal, it is impossible to move forward in one direction without moving backwards slightly in the other.

You can read more about this here on wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hex_map
Rio

Postby Qwase » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:42 pm

I assumed it was because of a hexagonal map, but generally that would make direct East/West travel longer. Unless the hexagon is turned 90% from a normal hexagonal map. There is still a problem with this theory though. Hexagonal map would give you 6 directions that are a straight line, with shorter travel times. That does not appear to be the case in my testing. Direct East/West travel is the shortest times. Any other direction, even if a straight line in a diagonal, has greatly increased travel times.
Qwase

Postby Qwase » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:50 pm

I did some more accurate testing using the actual lines on the map when zoomed out. 10 fields is the same all the way around. Apparently it is just my perception of it being farther when zoomed in.
Qwase

Postby RLM » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:11 am

The grid in the game is actually orthogonal, not hexagonal. The map is stretched into a hexagon. So the view on screen is distorted. If you were to calculate the distance using he X and Y coordinates between castles, you would find he distance is covered at a proper rate. But because of the distortion of the map view, it is perceived as a longer north-south distance.

I am not a developer, but I did my empirical analysis of the map and the distance, and cooperated with another player who concurred with this. He also had a distance formula in excel that works to account for this.
RLM

Postby Artistan » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:03 am

What is your math for the coordinates distance callculations?
Artistan

Return to Suggestions & Feedback